Thursday, September 04, 2008

We Labored on Labor Day


Grandma and Bonka went blackberry picking on Labor Day morning. Sporting the "blackberry shirt" and looking a little "homeless" , we dive into the patch with milk jugs belted around our waists and heavy gloves on the left hand.




Bonka used his clippers to clip away the briars so we could go deep into the patch.









This was the best picking ever! We really had to work for them, burrowing into the briars, but despite thorns, bees, skunks and fire ants our hands are stained with the fruits of our labors and our buckets are full!








After finishing freezing our blackberries, Bonka and I got busy canning the peaches. We ate tons of fresh (yummy) and got 28 quarts canned. Our shelves and freezer are filling up. Hurray!!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Mmmmm... looks delicious!

lori parkhurst said...

I think I'll have more time for that stuff when i'm an empty nester! Great job. The peaches looks beautiful as well as your blackberries!

Sue said...

You crack me up...homeless people...
Good job with all the work. I wish we lived a little closer, I'd help you pick the berries...and eat the pies!

lori parkhurst said...

I went and got my toes done with a little bit of my garage sale money. I didn't do too much with it because there were bills to pay too! :)